Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Week #4 - RSS and Newsfeeds.

8. Ok, I'll admit it, I've been avoiding RSS ever since I first heard of it. It may stand for "Really Simple" but to me it was a hard to fathom mess and I never looked into it. Even though all of my blogs have it built in for people to subscribe with - doesn't mean I knew how it worked! The furthest I went was adding a live bookmark in Firefox, which is a nice little one click process that doesn't require any thought.

Bloglines is a lot easier to use than I thought it would be, it really is a matter of searching, then clicking a link and voila! Since most packaged blogging software comes with built in feeds these days (unless you're building your blog by hand, and why would you?!), just about any blog is available on the service - including this one haha.

Bloglines also offers buttons for people to add to their blogs to encourage people to subscribe via the service, and a browser add on for most major browsers to create a toolbar button for instant subscriptions as you surf - very handy.
My subscriptions can be found here.

No comments: